Thursday, January 20, 2011

Some Firsts For Us

This past weekend was a big weekend for us. We found and BOUGHT a second car, a Toyota Sienna, and it is now in our possession. It still doesn't seem real. This is such a big big deal for a few reasons...

1. This is our very FIRST car purchase in our six years of marriage. Jake brought our Honda Accord into the marriage and it's been our one and only trusty car ever since. She's a champ! And as a side note, buying it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Shouldn't buying a car be fun? It was more stressful than fun, I'd say. But at least it's fun to have it now!

2. This is the very FIRST time we have owned two cars. It's been so nice these few days just to know we could go somewhere at any moment, and not have had to plan ahead to take Jake to work, etc. It's like a whole new world of possibilities has just opened up to me. I think I'm going to like it. (Side note: although we were excited to get a second car, we were still second guessing at the last minute...are we sure we want one more car? It's just been so nice to have one: one car to maintain, one car to insure, one car to gas up, etc. It's really been quite economical. And we've lasted this long....but alas, we decided it's time to make the jump to two.)

3. This is the very FIRST time we have driven anything but a Honda Accord. And we took the jump to a minivan! I still can't believe we are minivan owners, but I know we are going to love it and have lots of great family memories in it. But it still feels a little weird....and as my sister said, it changes who you are when you own a minivan! :) But i also suppose it changes who you are when you have your third child. It's a wonderful thing and we love seeing our family grow.

As I'm sure you can imagine, the boys love the new van!

Today I was trying to get Christian to run errands with me and he didn't want to until he realized we could ride in the new van! Then he jumped up and was all willing and ready.

Yesterday we went through the drive through at the bank, and as we were waiting for the teller to send my receipt and, of course, suckers back to us, Christian whispered from behind, "Tell them we have a new van." He loves it, loves to show it off, and loves to explore it every time when get in. So if you want a tour, he'd be happy to give you one. He's an expert.

On Sunday, as we were driving to my parents for a birthday dinner and Aunt Melissa was riding along, Christian said to her, "This is a fast van, don't you think?"

If you ask Christian his favorite thing about the van, he'll tell you the movie. Yes, there is a DVD player in the van, as much as I'd rather not have one. My boys have never watched videos in the car and I don't want to start. My plan was not to let Christian know it was a DVD player, so he'd never ask, but that plan was foiled when our annoying car salesman spent the entire test drive in the backseat with the boys watching Finding Nemo, laughing at and quoting the part where they touch the "butt" (my boys don't even know that word, and I'd prefer you not put it in their vocabulary, thank you!) and talking about how cool it was. That is the last time it has been turned on and we've explained to Christian that it's only for special occasions, like REALLY long rides in the car. And I plan to keep it that way. But at least we got a complimentary Finding Nemo DVD! :)

At Christmastime, whenever Jake would ask me what I wanted for Christmas, my response was, "A car. That's all I want." And then I told him I was expecting a set of keys under the tree. :) Well, I didn't get my Christmas wish, but we made it a goal to get one between Christmas and New Years. We made a valiant effort, but New Years came and went and we were still without a second car. So then I started getting the "What do you want for your birthday?" question. My answer? The same: "A car. That's all I want." But I was pretty sure it wouldn't happen, because we'd decided exactly what we wanted, and we were just watching online and waiting for the right deal to come along. And then all of a sudden it did! So we went and looked at it Wednesday, test drove it and bought it on Thursday, then on Saturday we brought home our very own Toyota Sienna, just in time. Happy birthday to me!


4 comments:

The Gurrs said...

Congrats and happy Birthday to you! I am so glad you have the freedom of your own car! You deserve it! I hope you get to do many fun activities with your sweet boys in it!
Tell Christian I am excited for him to show it to me when we come!

Marie said...

wow, you guys have gone a long time! We only have one car but Blake walks to school/work. We're thinking about getting another car soon and we are going through the same--but it's so cheap to only have one car, and if we get one, it should be big to fit more kids and we're too young for that...!

Krista said...

So exciting! You guys are so brave. Congratulations on the new car. What a great birthday present. I want to hear more about the van. By the way your boys are so awesome.

Kaitlin said...

so happy for you! can't wait for a bigger car myself...