Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Third Trimester Reality Check

Warning: this is not too glamorous...read on at your own discretion. And it's not for sympathy, just for facts. Simply a post for my own records and posterity. You can just scroll down to the photo for proof that I really am pregnant, for those of you I never see. :)

I had a doctor appointment last week, during which they informed me I was in my third trimester (already? Really?), that i would now be seeing the doctor every TWO weeks instead of four (is it that time already?) and that i needed to do my glucose test within the next seven days or I could do it right then, which I promptly did. (Weird? I thought so, and was really nervous I wouldn't pass because I'd taken no precautions in my diet that morning, but lucky all the tests came back normal. Grateful for that!)

Whoa! Time is flying! Half of my reaction was "WHAT? I've got a big to-do list to do before this baby comes. It can't really be that time already? I need to get moving!" And the other half of me is relieved and wishes I was even closer to my due date, as I am certainly ready to have my non-pregnant body back.

To say the least, this has been my hardest pregnancy. Contributing factors: this is my third pregnancy, not my second or first, I'm that much older, and I have two vibrant little boys to keep up with daily. And the main factors: varicose veins and hip pain.

I developed varicose veins while I was pregnant with Ethan and they have returned with this pregnancy, only much worse. They have spread, both discreetly and non-discreetly, and therefore the pain and appearance is much worse. I still only have them on my left leg, but they have spread both up and down. As for the appearance, I'm not too concerned about it. After all, I put on a swimming suit weekly and take my boys to the pool in all my pregnant and varicose vein leg glory. (It's fun for them and feels so nice to be in the water...no pain!). But the pain is no fun. I pretty much have the leg pain under control, but unfortunately the varicosity has spread almost to my waist, and there is nothing you can do about that, except lay down. Ha. So on days that are rough, i try to entertain my boys and play with them as best I can from the couch. They are pretty good sports about it. Christian will continually pick up my darts as long as I keep shooting guns with him or build his marble run right next to the couch so I can help him. Ethan will bring me book after book to read to him or puzzle after puzzle to do with him. And eventually I usually end up giving in and getting off the couch to really play, like today when I even put on all my snow gear to go play in the snow with Christian. We had a great time!

On top of varicose veins, i get this sharp pain in my right hip, especially when I've been on my feet too long. I've had it with every pregnancy and only on my right hip, go figure.

So when they told me I needed to come back in two weeks, I really was quite shocked, but I'm also very excited for d-day to be here!

But p.s....I don't want to be a complainer. I really feel so blessed. This pregnancy could be much worse. I am grateful to be able to carry this baby; I am grateful that he is healthy and growing right on track; I am grateful that I feel him move and know that he is thriving; I am grateful that my past labors have been full term and gone very smoothly; I am grateful for the opportunity to bear children. I have much more to be grateful for than to complain about, and for that, I am very grateful.

And here I am at 28 weeks, in my third trimester! Wahoo! (I think this is the first "pregnancy" photo i have even taken this time around.)








No comments: