I love apricot season! It means apricot picking, drying, juicing, and leathering! In the past I have only done jam and dried apricots, but this year I was a little more ambitious. And I also have more storage than I used to. :)
Rosanna and I had an apricot day at her house, where we juiced and bottled 42 quarts of apricot nectar! And even the kids helped! All six of them, including Owen who did a good job napping. :) The bigger kids ran the strainer and the smaller ones helped with the pitting. And they all played together really well too so Rosanna and I could keep working.
I think I ran my dryer for over a week straight, and my oven for just about as long doing leather. I love the leather and got the best idea for how to do it from Our Best Bites. I love that website. And I love the leather in kid-sized fruit strips!
I kept saying I was DONE doing apricots, and then I'd get more and keep at it. I just couldn't resist...what if we don't get apricots next year? I ended up with 21 quarts of nectar, a bag full of fruit leather in my freezer, as well as ten quart-sized bags of dried apricots. Let's see how long they last! :) We all love them!
No comments:
Post a Comment