Once the boys were finally in bed after fighting a few too many bedtime battles with a WAY over tired Christian, I felt like we'd failed yet another test in life. You know, the patience-endure-to-the-end-of-bedtime test. Actually, I've failed worse before, so perhaps tonight I would give myself a D. Then I started thinking about what life would be like if we really did receive grades for these tests we are given. Like in school. I mean, what if we were given a grade at the end of each day, according to our performance on our tests. Because I assure you, I am tested every day. And then at the end of the week, or maybe even month, we received a report card. Would this change our performance on the tests? Would we try harder and do better because we knew we would see physical results in the form of a letter?
I did very well in school. It came easily to me, but I also worked hard and studied hard, and tried for perfection. I graduated from high school with a 3.95 and graduated cum laude from BYU with a 3.7, I think. I don't say this to boast. I say this because grades were always important to me and I knew they were going to be important to those looking at my transcript to get into BYU and later, those looking at my transcript to hire me. If I knew the score mattered, you better believe I was going to try and I was going to do my very best. I was never happy with a B, or even getting an A- bothered me. And getting an F was just not even an option.
So why do I seem to keep failing these daily tests now? How can I even allow myself to fail? Or do poorly? Why am I not making sure I achieve the top score and receive an A or even an A+? Would we all do better if there was some kind of report card sent from heaven to let us see our progress?
I know that these tests matter, and they matter more than any of the math or english or history tests I took in school. Although I do not have report cards on my progress now, my children and my husband (and myself) are very much affected by the grades I am making.
Luckily, the final exam isn't here yet and I have an eraser that helps me fix my mistakes. I am so grateful for the atonement of Jesus Christ that allows me to do better and improve my score. I am grateful for a Father in Heaven who waits patiently for me to learn patience. And I am grateful for the chance we have to earn eternal life, and to help our children get there too. That is the A I am working toward. Or rather, the A+.
4 comments:
You get an A for Amazing :)
Camille,
thanks for sharing your well written thoughts - we all are undergoing the tests of life everyday...thanks for your perspective! Its great!
Keep up the good work (you'll get top grades from us!)
Dad & Mom
Wow, that was a really neat post. Almost had me tearing up. You are amazing and don't get down on yourself. I promise that you are doing way better than you think. I know I've told you before, but you are honestly one of the best mothers I've ever been around, I'm always so fascinated and amazed at how well you do, especially in tough situations with the boys. I've hoped many a time that I can be a mother like you one day.
wow, that was beautiful! Thanks for sharing that! That helps me think about it in a whole new way.
I think I may have already been flunked out of motherhood, but like you I am so grateful for divine help and a Savior.
You are wonderful and amazing Camille!
Post a Comment